Weber the Wonder Bunny

This site was originally created to raise funds for surgery for my beloved rabbit, Weber. Weber died on Dec. 20, 2006 and was buried in my front yard on Christmas Eve. It is 4 years later to the day that I launch this new site in his memory.

Domestic house rabbits can live well into their teens when they receive love, exercise, proper diet and a clean environment. They are easy to train and are quite intelligent. I know that my little Weber was one of the happiest rabbits that has ever lived… and anyone can have a happy, healthy, litter-trained rabbit at home. It’s my hope that this site will mean one less house rabbit languishing its life away in a lonely hutch outdoors.

With the help of other successful house rabbit owners, I hope this site will grow as a repository of knowledge for others seeking to know better how to care for their rabbits. While I was successful, I do not know all things about rabbits. That’s where you come in.

Close up of Weber chewing on the weather stripping of my back door.

I adopted Weber from the local dog pound in May of 2002. He was approximately 3 months old and the previous owner likely acquired him as an Easter present and was ill equipped to deal with a pooping, chewing machine. I knew very little about rabbits at the time – but he was gorgeous. A fantasy rabbit – white velvet fur with sky blue eyes, pink ears and a pink nose. Much to my shock, one of my dogs was in total agreement that bringing home a rabbit was the best idea I’ve ever had. The other dog assumed this was something for him to eat… and it took a while to convince him otherwise. He was a blue-eyed white (BEW) mini-Rex rabbit.

He loved to chew on his Cottontail Cottage, and after some training – learned to stop chewing on the wooden legs of my dining room table. He loved to pick up small toys and toss them, and he liked hay, loved cilantro and went ga-ga for papaya pills. He’d untie my shoes or yank on my pants leg if I frustrated him, and he’d run laps around me and the dogs and make a buzzing sound when he was really happy… which was every evening.

Weber developed a dental abscess in 2006, resulting in several surgeries. He did not awaken from the last surgery. Were it not for this medical problem, Weber could have well lived into his mid to late teens. He was a wonderful pet and made me happy every day. Nothing personal against your own rabbit, but no matter how wonderful your rabbit might be – Weber was 100 times as smart, beautiful, adorable and wonderful… not that I’m biased or anything.